I started by soaking the bare roots for a bit while I prepared my garden box for planting. Then I pulled them apart, trimmed the roots, and planted them about six inches apart, ending up with 48 plants in my box. Strawberry plants like lots of sun and lots of water (with good drainage), so I made sure they got plenty of both as I hung on their every hint of growth. I'm such a sucker for garden progress.
I wish I'd taken more pictures along the way, but here's my current strawberry patch: fruitless, blossomless, and runnerless, but strong and happy. There were 3 bare roots that didn't take (middle right), and I might eventually let some runners fill in those gaps.
Here are what the runners looked like after I clipped them off. A few of them had already sprouted roots to create new plants. This is so fun!!