Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Feeling Good in My Skin


After discovering the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep website, and writing this post in which I wildly confessed all my cosmetic sins, I stopped wearing any foundation on my face.  It was a sacrifice at first because I have really red skin tones, and just didn't feel as pretty.  (Though admittedly I care a lot less about how I look these days than ever before, and don't care much who sees me bare-faced).  But I got used to it, and loved the feeling of having nothing on my skin!

Still, the first time I showed up at my mom's house after going bare she said, "Looks like you got a sunburn this weekend!"  I smiled and said, "Actually, this is my natural coloring."  She laughed and said, "No... I know your natural coloring."  I insisted that I hadn't been in the sun at all, and she was just used to me wearing make-up for the last 12 years or so.  I comforted her for her mistake, telling her that on multiple occasions other girls had told me I was "wearing too much blush," when in fact I have never worn any.

So although I'm a convert to natural skin, and most days wear nothing on my face, I wanted to find something that wouldn't be so bad to use on days that I need to be more dolled up.  And I discovered Everyday Minerals.  All of its base products are rated 1-2 on Skin Deep, which means they are "low hazard" products, free of chemical preservatives, etc.  The best part is you can order a package of seven free samples (with $2 shipping) --- I did so and can tell the samples will last me a long time!  Once they run out, the prices on the regular products are much more reasonable than most natural cosmetics.
 
I love the way it goes on and stays on (guilt-free) all day.  I first rub in a little Dr. Bronner's lotion (rated 1-2 by EWG), and then sponge on the Everyday Minerals.

 
The way I see it, nothing (and nobody) with which you have a daily relationship should be in the least bit toxic.  But even if you only have irregular contact with a product, you might as well find the safest thing out there.

1 comment:

  1. Meredith, I can relate to this. Sometimes people tell me I have a sunburn when I don't, too. I stopped wearing foundation within the last year, and I feel happy to be free of it. Every once in a while I wish I had some I trust, so thanks for this recommendation!

    ReplyDelete