Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Fastest Soup Ever

Yes, it's even faster than House Tour Tomato Soup.  I don't know where I found the recipe many years ago, but it can be found in a few different places, like here or here.  I love the soup.  If you try it, let me know what you thought.  Chances are, if you like tortellini, you'll like the soup.

Tortellini in Broth with Escarole
Source
 Serves 4 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 15 Minutes!

Ingredients


  • 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 1 small head escarole, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 pound cheese tortellini (you can buy whole wheat now!)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

  1. Combine broth, 2 cups water, and bay leaf in a large stockpot; bring to a boil.
  2. Add escarole; cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 15 seconds.
  3. Add tortellini; cook until they float to the top, 4 to 5 minutes.
  4. Discard bay leaf, and season soup with salt and pepper. To serve, ladle into bowls.


Source
Don't let the escarole put you off if you've ever heard of it.  It's basically a lettuce that can cook well.  You might have a hard time finding it.  Last time I couldn't find it, I asked my grocer and he brought out a head from the back because they didn't have any out front (?).  Keep this recipe on file, and then when you see the escarole, know that you just need tortellini (assuming you have broth and a bay leaf (optional)) on hand.  If your kids aren't going to be too keen on leaves in their soup, just blend it with the broth.  

I like the leaves big, but I'd resort to this to make sure the greens weren't getting left in the bowl. 



1 comment:

  1. Escarole, I love big leaves in soup! Kale is another soup favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete