The following is a guest post by my lovely sister, Rachel.
1 8oz package mushrooms, sliced (added by me and not in the nutrition facts)
4 cups water
1/3 cup miso
3 green onions (scallions), chopped
1 tbsp shredded nori or wakame seaweed
1/2 block soft or firm silken tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
dash soy sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
Saute sliced mushrooms in water or oil. When tender, add water to a slow simmer. Add seaweed. Allow to simmer at least 5-6 minutes. The longer you simmer the seaweed, the less of a salty fishy flavor it will have.
Reduce heat to the lowest setting and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until miso is well dissolved. Its best not to boil the miso, as this will ruin some of it's healthy properties as well as change the flavor of the soup. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (from Calorie Count):
One serving provides approximately:
Calories: 91, Calories from Fat: 32
Total Fat: 3.5g, 5%, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, 3%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 882mg, 37%
Total Carbohydrates: 8.6g, 3%
Dietary Fiber: 1.6g, 6%
Sugars: 2.1g, Protein: 6.8g, Vitamin A 3%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 5%, Iron 8%, based on a 2000 calorie diet
You can add other vegetables if you like. Spinach would be good.
1. Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
2. Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.
3. Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.
4. Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.
5. Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).
6. Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.
7. Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.
8. Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.
10. High in antioxidants that protects against free radicals.See this website for more history about miso and uses for it. The dipping sauce, cheese, and salad dressing sound the most intriguing to me. Pass on any good miso recipes my way!