This recipe comes from Martha Stewart. My sister and I made this when she was in town, and it was for us the perfect summer dinner. It's a good, hearty, and very flavorful salad.
Warm Quinoa, Spinach, and Shiitake Salad
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- On a large rimmed broiler-proof baking sheet, toss mushrooms with half the dressing (reserve the rest); broil, tossing occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine quinoa, 3 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; add hot mushrooms, quinoa, and reserved dressing. Toss to combine (spinach will wilt slightly). Top with crumbled feta, and serve immediately.
My Minor Changes
We ended up using extra spinach, and we used half shiitake mushrooms, and half bella or something. We also did two cups of quinoa, and I think we didn't reserve any of the dressing; it all ends up together in the salad anyway!