Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Grandpa's Rhubarb Pie

This, obviously, isn't really Grandpa's pie.  I made this one.  His would look much more professional.
This isn't a healthy recipe, but it is delicious.  Feel free to make a healthy pie crust, and substitute your favorite sweetener for the sugar!  I didn't have quite enough rhubarb (I was making two pies), so I substituted with some strawberries.  Real Evanses like our rhubarb undiluted the way Grandpa makes it, but it's probably more broadly appreciated with (fresh picked) strawberries.  Serve hot with cold ice cream!

Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:
3 cups rhubarb
1-1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
Dash sal1/2 teaspoon 

Grated orange rind from one orange
2 tablespoons butter
1 well-beaten egg


Directions:
Combine rhubarb, sugar, flour, sale and orange rind.   Fill unbaked pastry-lined pan, dot with butter and pour egg over top.   Leave uncovered, strip or cover with top crust.   Bake in hot oven, 450 degrees F, for 15 minutes.   Reduce heat to moderate, 350 degrees F, about 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ariel,

    I am your biggest fan reader. Thanks for sharing your recipes and designs! I confess that I have never made a pie. Do you have pie crust instructions that you like?

    Yours in awe always,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to make a rhubarb pie lately, Ariel. This one looks great! It would be easy to sub rapadura or maple syrup and sprouted flour (or maybe better, arrowroot?) into the filling. I wonder how it would compare with the original.

    Meredith, the flaky pie crust recipe in Nourishing Traditions is good. I've sometimes had a bit of a hard time working with it since she calls for butter rather than shortening (yikes), but it's worth it to me. A lady in my ward won a blue ribbon at the L.A. County Fair for her pie that had a crust using oil. I'd love to get my hands on that one and try it with coconut oil. I'll let you know if that happens. :)

    ReplyDelete