Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Charity Never Faileth

Instead of doing lots of big goals in many different areas this year, we decided to have "Charity" be the theme for the year, with small goals coming from the definition in Moroni 7:45 in the Book of Mormon.  There are 12 attributes listed in the scripture (if you combine "rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth), so there are enough to do one a month!  
I made this printable so we can have it up all year as a reminder of our goals.
Every month in Family Home Evening, we will introduce the new topic and make corresponding personal and/or family goals.

January is "suffereth long."  We define this mostly as patience, and, living in a family we have already had plenty of opportunities to practice!  So far, it has been really fun.  Our kids are young enough that they still go along with all this stuff without complaining :)  We each picked one thing we had to practice being more patient with, wrote it down as a goal, and did some fun role playing.

Do you now or have you in the past had a scripture theme for the year?  Do you make goals as a family?  How has it worked out for you?

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Can we copy you?

    In answer to your question, no we have never made family goals, and haven't been very good about FHE either (Peter still being so young --- NO Excuse!)

    I love your theme. We really might copy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me feel good admitting that, Meredith. Our FHE's usually consist of a simple scripture story and then some silly game. It's not really different from what we do every other night, and so I feel sort of guilty considering it FHE...

      Delete
  2. I sat down with the brief late-night moment I had on New Year's Day and jotted down a few ways I'd like to improve personally. Four out of five relate to charity. This sounds like a great thing to do as a family. Thanks for the concrete ideas! I love the pretty printable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never done family goals, but I really like this idea. I think it's great to have specific goals for kids, and adults alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I'm so glad I know about what you are doing. A wise man taught me that all you have to do to keep happiness alive in your family, is leave no space for the opposite. Shining a light on charity is the way!

    One year, we chose the 13th Article of Faith, and tried to focus on one of the qualities each month that year. Do any of you remember that? It was while Richard was in Switzerland. I love that wonderful revelation.

    Nonie, I'm pretty impressed that you found even a moment of quiet on New Years. I remember your goals from last year -- read the Book of Mormon every day, and be in bed by 11:00. I like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. May I use your handout for our RS?

    ReplyDelete