I'm sorry I don't have step-by-step photos, but here's a rough rundown:
1. Find some fabric scraps (I found a few at home and bought a few more since I don't have oodles of scraps lying around).
2. Draw a little stocking shape on a piece of cardboard and cut it out.
3. Cut your fabric around the cardboard stocking, and pin them right sides together. A few of my scraps had hems already, so I made those the tops of the stockings.
This one is my favorite.
4. Sew around the edges and flip them inside out.
5. Sew a piece of twine into a loop in one corner of your stocking.
6. Tie some bells at increments around a length of twine and hang a stocking on each bell.
This could be a fun advent calendar if you made more (and smaller) stockings. It was rewarding to feel successful at making something festive to brighten up my home during the holidays.
We didn't have our own stockings where we were living last year,
so I used the garland stockings for some little stocking stuffers.