Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spiced Apple Pancakes


The base for this recipe comes from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, p. 478. Not gonna lie, this book is the best thing to happen in my nutritional life. These pancakes are the second best thing.

Pancakes:
Makes 16-20
2 cups freshly ground spelt, kamut, or whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat, and sometimes buckwheat)
2 cups buttermilk, kefir, or yoghurt (I use kefir)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. sea salt

1 tsp. baking soda
2 tblsp. melted butter


Soak flour in buttermilk, kefir or yoghurt in a warm place for 12-24 hours. (Those with milk allergies may use 2 cups filtered water plus 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice or vinegar in place of the buttermilk, kefir or yoghurt.) Stir in other ingredients and thin to desired consistency with water. (I never thin my batter. We love fat pancakes!) Cook on hot, oiled griddle or cast-iron skillet, (really any frying pan you have available will do fine, just don't forget to butter it.)

To this recipe I add:

2-3 tsp. cinnamon

A dash of nutmeg (sometimes I add this, sometimes I don't)
And one or two coarsely chopped apples, depending on how many apples you want in your pancakes
I've also used peaches with DELICIOUS results

As with all pancakes, top with generous amounts of butter, coconut oil, or any kind of nut butter, syrup, raw whipped cream, raw honey, or plain yoghurt. ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Nourishing Traditions! We have been cooking from it a lot more recently, and love how wholesome we feel afterward.

    Looking forward to trying your pancake recipe Lissa!

    Does anyone have suggestions for a tried-and-true grain mill that you love and use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same kind Nonie has, it's called a Family Grain Mill. It has an electric base, and a hand crank option. It was a good price too. I will tell you htough, mine doesn't seem to grind to a fine flour with many grains. I'm not sure if it's the grain, or if my grinder needs help. The flour mine produces is fine enough for all my baking needs, just not as fine as store bought flour. This is my first grinder though, so maybe all mills are this way... Nonie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering right now, Melissa. I got 40 lbs. of peaches and 20 lbs. of apples today from Azure. We're making these pancakes tomorrow! Some of each. I'm even willing to sacrifice the end of the yogurt I was saving to start my own batch (of yogurt). I will do that for this cause.

    Re the mill: We used the Back to Basics that M&D gave us until it wore out (I think we can get a part to fix it?). The Family Grain Mill is fine. The flour is not as fine as store-bought, but it's been just fine in everything I've made. Right after we bought it, we discovered the Wonder Junior, which I salivated over. When I get another hand mill, that's the one I'll get. You can grind anything in it, unlike most other mills. The same company has a nice electric version too. I'll let you do the reading if you want: www.thewondermill.com.

    Also, I will follow up on this in a post one day, but store-bought flour doesn't TOUCH freshly-ground. I didn't notice the difference at first, but after I'd only ground my grains for maybe a year, I used whole wheat flour in something and was devastated at the taste (and shocked at my devastation). The recipe we'd loved before didn't even taste like the same recipe at all. GO FRESH!

    ReplyDelete